Monday, January 28, 2008

Climbing in Thailand

On my boat ride over to Ao Nang where I am writing this blog (the internet is much cheaper here) I had one of those amazing feelings where I realized just how lucky I am to be in such a beautiful and friendly place! It was very peaceful.
I have been climbing a lot in the last few days. I met a German couple who arrived the same day I did and did not have a rope. So we climbed the next day at a couple crags to the south (Muay Thai and 1,2,3 walls) and it was so fabulous! We hoped on a couple of 6a's (5.10a) and up to 6b+ (5.11). I got spanked on the 5.11, but it was so much fun and required some very unique stemming and even head jams! We grabbed a late lunch and then headed over to Phra Nang beach. I have never seen a more beautiful beach in all my life, even in pictures. The view out over the turquoise water was nice in itself, but the real treat was the huge overhanging cliff above the beach painted with beautiful streaks of red, brown, blues, and off-white limestone, with enormous (200' long) stalactites! WOW! Although the scenery was grand, and the climbing was ridiculously fun, the best part was meeting all sorts of different people. Frank and Bea (the german couple) introduced me to several other germans in the area, and I met some very nice people from Norway too. Everyone here, and I mean everyone is so friendly! It would be no problem to just walk up to a group at a crag and climb with them. I also met a guy who went to the U of O and had taken a Rock Climbing class from the same instructor that I took my first class from a couple years later. It is a small world at times....
In the evening I met a couple of younger travelers (19 and 20) from Atlanta and climbed with them all day yesterday. Rachael has been here for a month and took her friend Jon and I to all of her favorite spots. We climbed mostly hard 10's and a couple low 11's, but the moves on these climbs were so spectacular! On one climb I was hugging a tufa for about 20' as I shimied up! Most of the climbs are overhanging and this one was no excpetion-it really messed with my head! It's so fun to be climbing right next to people who are putting up really hard routes-13's are NBD on the beach here. At least for some people....who are genetic freaks.... :-)
The time here so far has been awesome. Typically, I get up whenever I wake up (usually around 7:30), toss my stuff in my large man-bag, and head down for some breakfast. Tea, and either mango sticky rice, an omlette, or some pancakes fills me up and then its off to climb for the day. Lunch is usually 'street-vendor' style and can be rice and bbq kabob, or some kind of noodle dish. Then its off to the beach and a little swimming. Up to the bungalow for a quick shower and some reading, then a nice dinner, and then I'm so ready to just pass out. Its fascinating how little you do here and still get so tired!
I took today off from climbing so that I dont over-climb and headed over to Ao Nang. I need to grab a beach towel, a pair of loose-fitting man-capris for climbing and lounging, a couple shirts, some snacks, and to write this blog. I'll probably crash out on the beach here for a bit too because it is also very nice. Emily will be here in 10 days and I am getting very excited for that. There are very few people (maybe none) who share our very strange sense of humor. That is most apparent when all my jokes (that I find pretty damn funny) fall on a flat audience with most other people. Oh well. Once she's here we'll have a few months of traveling together and sharing funny stories so I guess I can wait a few more days...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

too cool....way too much fun (assuming of course you like climbing). 8 inches of snow here, but leave Sat for Guatemala/El Salvador.
stay well. dad