Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hmmm....life is funny

No pictures for this one, and not that much time to write. I guess its been almost ten days since I last wrote here. Wow! The term I have been using is: Days pass like weeks and weeks pass like hours. Maybe the Doppler effect is at work here, twisting time around, compressing and expanding.

A quick Summary: Emily arrived. It was quicly obvious to the both of us that things were not right between us. It wouldn't be fair to use this blog to broadcast the personal parts of our relationship. Sufice it to say that although it would be so much easier to still be a couple while traveling, we both agree that its not possible. So we have spent the better part of the last week trying hard to navigate this new part of our lives. How do you stay good friends with the person that you just broke up with? Is it possible to travel together? It's been interesting and I think that we have done surprisingly well under the circumstances.

We stayed in Tonsai for that week, climbing and beaching during the day, hanging out with all of the amazing people that we have met here. Collectively we nicknamed it 'Summer Camp' because, well, it felt a lot like that. I have been hanging out with that same group of people for the last 3 weeks, and I am very grateful for that. But it had to end...it always does. So yesterday Vanessa left for Canada, Glen left for Sydney, Casey and Skyler were leaving for Montana, Jodi and Emily were going to head up to a National Park for a few days, Ruzi was staying put, and Maxine and I headed down to Ko Lipe. I plan on being here for a few days and then heading across the Malaysian border to do my Visa run before heading back to Tonsai to climb for another couple of weeks.

The trip down here was classically Thai. We got some sketchy directions from the guy whom we booked the travel through, but somehow still managed to get to the bus stop on time. Of course the driver just looked at our ticket, chuckled, then asked us to get on the bus. No affirmation that we were on the right bus, and no clear answer to our question, "Ko Lipe?" But, as always here, we got to the pier on time, caught the right ferry, and ended up on the right beach. But the island was full of people and there was really nowhere to stay. We ended up sleeping in a tent. Which wasn't really all that bad (except for the sore back in the morning and no sink to brush teeth), but now we have a bungalow and all is right in the world again.

And thats that...for now at least. Today is a relax and snorkel day, tomorrow a dive day, and then who knows. I have to be out of Thailand before the 24th because of my Visa, but thats about the only real constraint I have. Oh, and I only have so much money. I guess that does matter too...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Where are you now? How was your visa run? Hope you're well!

Max

PS more blogging please!

Unknown said...

How are things, more climbing?